Saturday, August 6, 2011

Wanted: Personal Assistant for Pregnant Woman with Too Much on Her Plate

At the start of the summer life felt like it was hurtling out of control. Both C. and I were wondering how things seemed to go so haywire and then we remembered. In the spring, we sold our house in less than a 2 months, packed our house, moved, unpacked, found out we were pregnant, went to Hawaii with our kids, helped Gramma move in with us, celebrated birthdays/holidays and before we knew it it was June and things were falling through the cracks out of sheer lack of time. We were both grateful that the school year was over so that we could spend some time getting things back in order and figuring out our next steps. We spent July hanging out with our kids and finally getting rooms decorated, the mountain of boxes unpacked, fixing some things that were nagging at us. It was nice. We settled in and things have really started to feel like "normal," at least relative to our life anyway. Then this week happened.

I woke up early this week and it dawned on me. While I was busy focusing on all the other things that had been ignored all spring, I ignored another very important life changing fact. I'm going to be a mother again in just 3 short months and I've done NOTHING to prepare. For those of you who know me, you know that this is not the norm. I like to prepare for everything I can way ahead of schedule and know the plan. I'm this way to the point that it can be nauseating. I've been told that I can be too efficient in handling my family's business and that I over plan--that I'm too business and not enough fun. I won't argue with that because I can be but it's always with the best of intentions and with the goal of making life easier down the line. So naturally, I flipped out when this little nugget of info was discovered on my plate and instantly morphed into my alter ego. I started plotting, planning, measuring, researching, pricing and, in the process, driving my husband nuts.

What can I say? My son is due the Monday after Thanksgiving and while I will be eternally grateful for the blessing I need to make sure I've got my Ps and Qs in order or the fall/early winter will be more hectic than the spring. I mean we've got school starting at the end of the month which means we resume our roles as taxi cab driver, extra-curricular activity coordinator and homework adviser. Oh and part time work for me (which is another blog by itself). We've got our anniversary, a baby shower and Halloween in October, 3 birthdays (prior to T.'s birth) in November, Thanksgiving dinner (which we will be hosting for my ever growing family), Spark of Love activities for C. and Christmas preparations which is a full time job in and of itself. And I need to prepare both my home and my mind to bring another life into the world. I know that I'm going to have to rein in my expectations for this holiday season so a lot of things I'd normally do, or I like to do, are likely not to get done since I'm going to need to work on the more important items. Bottom line... I simply do not have time to be lazy this fall.

So my mad dash has commenced. I've started registering for some things--partly because if I don't I won't remember what I need and partly because of the baby shower. I've researched strollers and our nursery furniture. I've started sorting through all J.'s clothes to pull out goods for T. I've squared away the major details of the baby shower with my sister. I just need to order a few things online. I've picked out a birth announcement/Christmas card so those won't (hopefully) fall by the wayside. I've started discussing the Christmas decorating/shopping (Lord, help me!) with the hubs and have some tentative plans on what's going to happen there. Yet, despite all these preparations I still feel like dazed and confused. AND for whatever crazy reason I got the "creative" bug today while I was browsing Etsy and have added some projects that I'm sure I will drop like a hot potato next week because I'll realize that I'm trying to take on the world again. Ugh.

I know my awesome, do-it-all sidekick/husband will help and somehow it will get done. It will be a challenge for sure but we'll manage. Just don't freak out if you find a hugely pregnant women rocking back and forth on the laundry room floor mumbling something incoherent and frantically cross off and adding things to her notepad. It's only me. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment